The Lottery and Other Stories
Shirley Jackson
11/22/63
Stephen King
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Yasutaka Tsutsui, David James Karashima 1½ stars only, actually...
I really thought I'd like this book - premise was great and I usually like the Japanese way of thinking and writing that I've encountered elsewhere (like Haruki Murakami). But this was just quite terrible... I don't know how much of it was due to the translation, but it was so choppy and simplistic!
A lot of telling and NO showing at all! It was constantly: "We need a broom", she said. "Ok, I will go get the broom", he said. She thought it was so great that he was getting the broom. "Here is the broom", he said after returning with a broom". "Thank you!! That is so great that you got the broom, because we really needed to get it!", she said (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) And that was more or less what it was like ALL ALONG!

And maybe it was something terribly unique (time-travelling and memory repression) when this book was published in Japan, but it's nothing new to me as concepts. So I need an interesting twist or storyline or good characters, but it was just bad..
The only positive thing I can think of right now is that the cover is really pretty... :(

I've heard the manga/anime is really lovely and I could believe that, but this was not... I likely wouldn't have finished it if I didn't need it for a challenge.