The Lottery and Other Stories
Shirley Jackson
11/22/63
Stephen King
White Cat  - Holly Black Great book! I've not read anything by Holly Black before, but I'll be sure to continue this series and likely also her Iron Fey series.

I really liked this story and it's like nothing I've ever read before - Black manages to create a very likeable main character despite his flaws and a world that is not so different from ours, but just enough to make it interesting. I particularly loves how she makes the whole hands-thing work without it being too much or too silly.

Great twists and turns of the story that manage to meld together well and doesn't leave any lose threads hanging when we get to the end. The only issue for me was that it was pretty obvious to me quite early that Cassel was of course going to be a transformation worker - it was sort of in the card and of course our main character will be the most unique kind of "magician" there is... I think Black could have made it a bit less obvious.. I really liked that the story was quite dark as well - there is no glossing over some of the revelations and some of the things that the characters do and that's really refreshing in YA, I think.

All in all, a really good read and very different take, so I look forward to the next instalments in the series :)