The Lottery and Other Stories
Shirley Jackson
11/22/63
Stephen King
The Iron King - Julie Kagawa I was really pleasantly surprised at "The Iron King". With a lot of the faery/YA/romance fantasy out there, this book really managed quite well to steer clear of the worst pitfalls in the genre while maintaining an innovative and interesting idea.

The premise of human highschooler finding out she's something more is very used and I feared a typical Mary Sue/I'll fall in love with the first supernatural being and he'll sort it all out - type main character, but Megan is actually a quite likeable heroine who seems quite real and multi-faceted. And while we do have the mandatory hunky supernatural and potential love-triangle, it doesn't take over the story and it never becomes a fake goal that she came for a reason (which was not to be a fairy lover) :-)

Many things made me reminisce about Henson's "The Labyrinth", but that's a praise and I thought it managed well to pay some homage without any blatant stealing.
A few very fortunate coincidences and happy helpers made parts of the action wobble on the edge of my suspense of disbelief, but overall a well-written story and interesting new idea which made perfect sense (when you think about where the fey "come from") and which is an actual original idea (as such can be).

I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone enjoying faeries as an above-par YA read.